Snoring can be troublesome because it is usually a sign that something more serious is going on. For instance, snoring is one of the telltale signs of sleep apnea. Basically, something in your respiratory tract is not working efficiently as it should. When it comes down to it, snoring can also get in the way of a marriage. If your bed partner snores loudly, there is a good chance that you are completely fed up. Fortunately, snoring can be treated and hopefully cured by taking a number of measures. It is important to know that your snoring problem can lead to more serious problems later on, so it is critical that you get help right away. Here are five easy and effective remedies for snoring.
- Sleep on your side. It is also critical to sleep on your side if you snore. Sleeping on your back can only lead to more snoring – mostly because the blockage in your throat that is causing the snoring is pushing further backwards. This is why you want to train yourself to change your sleeping position.
- Use a CPAP machine. A CPAP machine is an important device if you have extremely loud snoring. If you snore, there is a good chance that you also have sleep apnea, which is a deadly disease. CPAP stands for ‘continuous positive airway pressure’ and it will cure you of not only your snoring – it will also alleviate all your other sleep apnea symptoms, like fatigue, morning headaches and depression. In the long run, curing yourself of sleep apnea could potentially save your life. If you want to learn how to stop snoring by alleviating your sleep apnea, you can visit Americare Respiratory Services and pick up a CPAP machine.
- Meditate before you sleep. Meditation is also critical, because your snoring could be a result of stress. If you have a stressful job, there is a good chance that you conk out at night and have incredibly loud snoring. Instead of going to sleep right away, you may want to close your eyes while still sitting up – you want to focus on clearing your mind completely. All your stress from the day needs to wash away.
- Avoid sedatives. It is also imperative that you avoid sedatives, because it can relax your throat muscles to the point where your glottis may fall backwards and cause a disordered breathing sound – snoring. It may also be smart to refrain from drinking alcohol shortly before bedtime, because that could also relax your throat to the point where you start snoring – alcohol can also worsen the symptoms of sleep apnea.
- Lose weight. Losing weight is also important, because people with a higher body mass index are most likely to snore. This is especially the case if you have a large stocky neck, like a football player. Not only will losing weight alleviate your snoring, it may also improve your quality of life and lower your risk for stroke and heart disease. In essence, losing weight can help save your life.