You might be understandably wary about purchasing a used laptop. After all, it’s not the latest technology and someone else has used and abused it before you. But the truth is that it’s not much different than purchasing a used car. So long as you exercise due diligence and look for a refurbished model from a reputable retailer, you stand to gain several benefits from buying a used PC laptop. Of course, you might also find a steal by purchasing a laptop from a private seller on Craigslist, so long as you make sure it works and has what you want before you pay the price. Here are a few advantages you could enjoy by purchasing a used laptop.
- Discounted price. There’s really no better reason to buy a used PC laptop than the money you’ll save in the process. You could still spend several hundred or even thousands of dollars on a brand new laptop, depending on the bells and whistles you’re interested in. Although prices have come down significantly as technology advances and parts become more common and inexpensive, laptops are still a pricy investment for most people, especially when many tablets can do so much of what most people use laptops for. However, if you need a more powerful machine at a more affordable price, refurbished or used laptops could meet all your needs.
- Better equipment. If you’re working with a tight budget, buying a used laptop could help you to get the caliber of hardware you need at a price that is within your means. If you want a lot of RAM, plenty of storage space, a powerful CPU, and WiFi, amongst other things, you’re more likely to fulfill all your criteria by purchasing a used laptop.
- Software included. Most refurbished laptops have been wiped to protect the interests of former owners (essentially erasing all trace that they were there, including any sensitive personal data that may have been saved on the laptop). But the refurbishing process generally entails installing an appropriate operating system at the very least, and often a variety of other programs. And if you purchase a used laptop that hasn’t been refurbished, you could end up with a lot of other software for free.
- Warranty period. Not all refurbished laptops come complete with a warranty to protect your purchase. But some do. Often it’s only a partial warranty, but it can still give you peace of mind to know that if you end up with a lemon, at least you’ll have some means of ensuring repair, replacement, or reparations.
- Green living. Aside from pricing, one reason that many modern adults opt to buy used PC laptops is that it helps them uphold their eco-friendly agenda while still getting the equipment needed in everyday life. Students, homeowners, and professionals alike can feel good about purchasing equipment from outlets like Used- PCs.com thanks to the fact that they’re giving these products a second life and keeping them out of landfills, while simultaneously eschewing new manufacturing and all the pollution and waste it entails.